Why Additional Mathematics

Have you heard of the quote?

“The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.”
-Jimmy Johnson

It simply means that you have to put in extra effort in everything you do to achieve the extraordinary result, outstanding the ordinary.

The same goes to additional mathematics. Why “additional” mathematics? What is the “additional” for?
The word “additional” indicates a more advance mathematics, unlike the normal mathematics. Higher level of mathematics including algebra, trigonometry, geometry and et cetera are elements of many science foundation. You might not have notice, however its existence is everywhere in our daily life! Especially now that we are marching towards the modern world of technology, additional mathematics plays a crucial role.

Many professional jobs out there need additional mathematics as basic requirements. Actuary, architect, engineering, statistician, quantity/building surveyor, operations manager, business & management, and et cetera, just to name a few. What do you have in mind for your future? If you have not decided on what career you would like to pursue, you should start thinking now and this site might serve as a reference. <http://jobs.lovetoknow.com/list-careers-mathematics-majors>. This web page provide some insights on mathematics-related career.

So, why study additional mathematics?

Primarily, additional mathematics help stimulates and develop critical thinking of a person. Most of the formulas are derived from the basic concept. You will need to know the steps to derive and thinking out of the box. Once you have understood and grab hold of the basics, the rest would be just at the tip of your finger.

Furthermore, additional mathematics promotes problem solving skills. This is closely related to identifying, analyzing and reasoning as well. Through this, I am able to view how diligent a student is in tackling a problem, it shows where their strength and weaknesses lies. Thus, providing a platform for me to guide them for improvement.

On the side track, to those of you whom are curious why do I enjoy teaching additional mathematics? My reason is simple. I am doing what I love to do! I love this subject and I would like to share my knowledge with my students. Besides, I have a bunch of cool students as well! (Though sometimes giving me a headache, but I still love them!) I am pleased when my students appreciate this subject like how I do. Seeing my students slowly gaining confidence in additional mathematics is delighting. Plus, there is a sense of fulfillment and achievement when my students score with flying colours, that is when you know those extra effort are well worth it.

You may not be able to see the value of what additional mathematics can provide you in real life just yet, however, trust me, down the road you will be thankful that you have taken this subject and that it has many relation to your life after all.

I hope this post has served you well and solve some of your inquiries of why study additional mathematics.

[do you know?]                      
The positive quadratic equation graph is always a smiley face and

the negative quadratic equation graph is always a sad face. 

[Just for laugh]
Q: Why do the math book look so sad?
A: Because it has so many problems!

Cheers!~

Feel free to leave comments / opinions / suggestions / feedbacks. It is highly appreciated!  Thank you!
Previous
Next Post »
0 Comments